They say that cleanliness is next to godliness, and this is never more the case than in the office. Or at least, it should be – offices are busy, noisy, hot and potentially dirty places, and if you want to make sure things are as hygienic as possible it’s going to take a proactive nature and a bit of common sense thrown in…
How clean is your office?
You might think your office is clean, but perhaps it’s best to exercise a bit of caution. Think about it – you could have a lot of employees packed into one building, not to mention visitors and clients, and if anyone’s got the slightest hint of a cold or other illness it could quickly spread. Offices are breeding grounds for germs and bacteria, and there’s even research to back it up – a study conducted by the University of Arizona found that at work our desks are dirtier than the office toilets, harbouring a worrying 400 times more microbes than a lavatory seat, and that’s before we even get to the communal areas and pieces of equipment.
All of these areas are ripe for germ transfer, so whilst we shouldn’t go too OCD it’s worth bearing in mind the main offenders and putting hygiene first. There’s more to it than meets the eye as well – yes, health and safety will always come into play, but it makes sound business sense too. If an employee became ill from unsanitary working conditions it could have a clear impact on productivity and even profit margins, so having a clean office should be high on the list of priorities.
Everyone should try to do their bit to keep the office environment as clean and hygienic as possible, and here are just a few tips to germ-proof your business:
• Implement a clean desk policy. If empty sandwich cartons, crisp packets or drinks cans are lying around on desks, dirt and germs could quickly follow.
• Don’t promote presenteeism. If staff members are at work when they’re clearly ill it could spread throughout the office, so contain the problem by sending sick people home.
• Consider issuing hand sanitizer or anti-bacterial wipes for hands and desks.
• Encourage employees to periodically wipe down their desks, keyboards and phones.
• Improve air quality. The air inside an office will be stale and can provide a fertile breeding ground for microbes, so throw open a window or invest in a dehumidifier to make things more bacteria-resistant.
Get the cleaners in
Perhaps the best thing you can do is invest in professional office cleaning services in London. You might be trying to watch the budget but if you had an unhygienic workplace you’d lose more cash in terms of staff sick days, and here at Starlet Cleaning we’re here to help. We know that cleanliness is next to godliness but it’s even more important in a working environment, so if you’re looking for office cleaners in London that can spruce up your workplace make sure to get in touch and you can do the best for your employees as well as your profit margin.